If you’re dealing with a chronic illness or disability, or you’re navigating the aging process and wish to stay within the comfort of your own home in the Bronx, the Consumer Directed Personal Assistance Program (CDPAP) may be a good option for you.
CDPAP allows those who qualify for Medicaid to access an innovative form of medical care where they can stay at home—and receive care from someone they already know. That person, who could be a family member, friend, or neighbor is then paid a salary by a Fiscal Intermediary, such as Special Touch CDPAP.
Special Touch CDPAP has a physical location in The Bronx, as well as locations throughout New York City, and are experts at guiding people through the CDPAP application process, as well as helping those who wish to register as assistants.
Our Bronx Location
You can call 718-627-1122 and request to speak with a CDPAP Personal Assistant Recruiter who will be able to answer any additional questions you may have, or get you started on your way to becoming a Personal Assistant. You can also fill out our contact form if you would prefer to receive a call directly from us.
- The website NYC Caregiver connects family caregivers in New York City with resources provided by the National Family Caregiver Support Program. You’ll find a wealth of information on the site as well as local resource centers.
- The James J. Peters VA Medical Center offers caregiver support services for veterans. Family caregivers of veterans who were injured post-9/11 may also be eligible for services, including comprehensive training and medical coverage through VA.
- The staff at Presbyterian Senior Services provides guidance as well a range of caregiver services. Presbyterian Senior Services has a ‘Circle of Care’ stations in the Bronx and offers help in both English and Spanish.
- The Caregiver Support Center at Montefiore was the first caregiver support center provided by a medical center in New York City. It provides caregivers with emotional support and practical assistance.
- SAGE (Services and Advocacy for GLBT Elders) is the world’s oldest and largest organization devoted to meeting the needs of elders in gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender (GLBT) communities. The organization’s New York chapter offers caregiver training, support groups and additional supplemental services. The SAGE Center Bronx, located inside the Union Community Health Center, offers a wide range of events and programs.
- The Bronx Parents Autism Support Circle is a Meetup group for parents with children with autism for those located in the Bronx.
Disclaimer: The list above represents a starting point for exploring support services in the Bronx, but does not constitute an endorsement of any of the groups or organizations listed. Each reader should independently research any group they wish to participate in, and make an educated decision based on his or her specific needs.